New Forest GuidesNewsletterSitemap


Print-friendly version


Bransgore Village

Bransgore is unusual in that the village actually straddles the boundaries of the newly formed national park with most of it being outside.

There is some debate as to when the village actually started to use the name it is known by today but it is generally thought to be around the early 1800's.

Bransgore village has gone through a number of transformations during its life from being purportedly a place for the more undesirable folk to a stopping point for travellers taking the wares to the market in Ringwood.

It was also at one time a major brick making area due to the fact that all the raw ingredients needed in the brick making process could be sourced locally in and around the forest.

Research also indicates that much of the early brickwork used in the prestigious Bournemouth architecture of the day was sourced from here as well.

Bransgore has some absolutely fabulous homes and listed buildings that were built around the 1900's and in true cottage fashion many have traditional thatched roofs. Over time some of the grander property in the area has been re-developed, a typical example of this is the once grandest house of them all which was Bransgore House.

Bransgore house was set in over 55 acres of land and is reported to have had thirty six individual rooms and also a fantastic walled garden where produce was grown for the owners and guests of the house.

Sadly as time passed the upkeep of the property became too much and it fell into disrepair the house and land were eventually redeveloped with the land and the former garden making way for new properties.

If you found this page useful please bookmark it for others to share - Thank you


Waterfall Cottage - Self Catering Cottages
An idyllic spacious 1840 detached cottage in a quiet, beautiful location which combines elegance with cottage-cosiness in the middle of the National Park. ...
Bed And Breakfast Accommodation - Fleetwater Farm
This early Victorian, Manorial farmhouse was once owned by Jack Hargreaves of television’s "Out of Town" fame. Set in four acres of informal...
Hotels - Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
The Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel offers luxury accommodation with 42 individual bedrooms, including executive rooms, family rooms and suites. All rooms are...


United Ferry Service - Boat Trips From Christchurch
The Vintage Ferry Service starts at Tuckton Tea Gardens and runs down to Mudeford Sandbank, stopping at Wick Ferry and Christchurch Quay. The service...
Hurst Castle - Forest Attractions
Hurst Castle is situated at the seaward end of the shingle spit that extends 1.5 miles from Milford-On-Sea. The end of the spit, only three-quarters of a mile...
Beaulieu Motor Museum - Forest Attractions
The National Motor Museum (originally the Montagu Motor Museum) is a museum in the village of Beaulieu, set in the heart of the New Forest, in the English...